Aluminum access systems are indispensable for people with restricted mobility because they secure entry and exit to elevated or hard-to-reach areas. When you need an ADA ramp with stairs for a site-built or modular building, classroom, construction trailer, or any other structure, you’ll find that aluminum has many characteristics that are unmatched by other materials.
The REDD Team Universal Wheelchair Ramp System provides ADA compliant wheelchair access to portable and modular buildings. With its ease of mobility, long life cycle, and modular aluminum components, it can be easily relocated and reconfigured according to your needs. Along with its counterpart, the REDD Team Universal Stair, this ADA ramp provides you with safe, low-maintenance wheelchair accessibility solutions.
Aluminum ramps and stairs offer safety that is simply not available in systems built from other materials, such as steel, wood and masonry. Aluminum is lighter than steel, and some alloys are stronger than some steel alloys. But the extruded aluminum components used for walkways, stairways and ramps have other exceptional characteristics, such as:
- Light weight – Steel is typically 2.5 times heavier than aluminum. This means that your ramps and stairs will be easy to lift and move whenever necessary.
- Good thermal conductivity – In cold temperatures, aluminum alloys actually get stronger without losing quality, making them excellent for cold weather applications. The metal also conducts heat well and remains cool to the touch, even on hot days.
- Protective oxide coating – This naturally occurring coating makes aluminum exceptionally resistant to rust and corrosion. It can withstand highly-corrosive environments, such as marine settings.
- Malleable – Aluminum alloys are easy to extrude. Complex shapes can be obtained in one-piece sections, eliminating the need for mechanical joining methods. This makes the frame components stronger and less likely to loosen over time.
- Low maintenance – The natural metallic surface of aluminum is attractive on its own and needs no further finishing, but it can be anodized, painted or powder-coated if desired. Steel and wood have to be painted or treated and maintained to keep them in good working order.
- Recyclable – Aluminum can be recycled indefinitely without losing any of its superior characteristics. The recycling of aluminum uses less energy and can offer substantial cost benefits. Our aluminum stairs and other access products meet the guidelines of the U.S. Green Building Council and are appropriate for LEED credits.
REDD Team’s stairs and ramps are fabricated from 6000 series aluminum and alloys 6061-T6, 6063-T5 or 6063-T6 for structural strength and toughness. They are equipped with smooth, continuous handrails and a slip resistant walking surface for safe and easy access. They can be designed and manufactured in custom lengths and sizes with adjustable heights for better versatility.
Aluminum ramps are also ideal for safe access to crossovers, roofs, mezzanines and other elevated, hard-to-reach areas on jobsites.
Most slip-and-fall injuries can be attributed to poor structural integrity, slippery surfaces, poorly constructed handrails, and environmental factors, such as mud, ice, snow, grease, and oil. Consider aluminum access systems for better safety, simple and painless installation and easy handling.
REDD Team can assist you with an ADA ramp and stairs, or other systems you may need for your application. Contact us toll-free at (800) 648-3696 to find out more about our extensive line of aluminum access solutions.