OSHA Stair Requirements
Many construction employees work at six feet or more above ground and need to be protected from slip-and-fall hazards. Stairs are such a familiar part of buildings that the dangers associated with them are often overlooked. OSHA stair requirements are in place to help you recognize and minimize the hazards.
REDD Team specializes in high-quality aluminum stairs for construction trailers and field offices that need to meet OSHA regulations. All of our aluminum safety products are durable, lightweight, maintenance-free, and have a one year warranty. They also meet the guidelines of the U.S. Green Building Council and are appropriate for LEED credits.
REDD Team Dura-Grip OSHA Stairs – This aluminum stair is specifically designed for construction trailers, field offices and modular buildings to meet OSHA and CAL-OSHA regulations. Features include:
· 100 psf live load and a concentrated load of 300lbs
· 2, 3 or 4 steps ranging from 25 ½ inches to 35 inches based on the code
· Landing width is 40” x 60” with 32” tread
· Slip-resistant, self-draining aluminum decks
· Equal strength but lighter weight than wood or metal
· Non-corrosive and non-combustible stairs and railings
· Slip-in rails and legs for fast assembly
REDD Team Flex-Step OSHA Stair – This Flex-Step OSHA Stair is an adjustable 28″or 35″ threshold stair designed for modular buildings, construction trailers and field offices that need to meet OSHA regulations. Features include:
· 100psf live load and a concentrated load of 300lbs
· Durable slip-resistant and self-draining deck
· A total weight of only 120 lbs
· Field reversible handing
· Fully reusable in either handing
· Grip Strut option available
· Quick installation in under 10 minutes
OSHA Stairway Regulations
In general, interior and exterior stairs around machinery, tanks, and other equipment, and stairs leading to or from floors, platforms, or pits must meet these stairway regulations (visit the OSHA site for complete details):
1. Strength.Industrial stairs must be designed to safely carry a moving load of 1,000 pounds.
4. Treads.Treads must be slip-resistant with nonslip nosings. Tread width must be uniform throughout the flight of stairs.
6. Railings and handrails.The open sides of all exposed stairways and platforms must have standard railings. Stairways with four or more steps rising more than 30” must have at least one handrail that is not less than 36” above the surface of the steps.
8. Safety. Stairways must be free from all types of fall hazards, debris and slippery conditions.
REDD Team can help you reduce costs and create a safer workplace by complying with the OSHA stair requirements for your unique application. Contact us toll-free at (800) 779-5509 to find out more about our line of aluminum access products and install fall-protection safeguards at your jobsite.