There’s no single perfect material for every application, but aluminum offers many advantages for portable ramps with handrails and other access systems that can’t be found in systems constructed from other materials, such as steel, wood and masonry.
REDD Team is a leading national manufacturer of high quality aluminum access products, including wheelchair ramps, portable aluminum stairs (OSHA and general code), walkways, pedestrian bridges, gangways and more. Whatever your requirements, our products will meet your most exacting architectural requirements.
6000 Series Aluminum Alloys
What sets REDD Team’s products apart is our focus on the aluminum alloys we use in their construction.
Our access systems are typically constructed from 6000 series aluminum alloy with 6061-T6 for structural strength. 6061 alloy is an excellent substitute for heavier mild steel products. It’s tough, structurally strong, easy to weld and join, and will maintain its shape in spite of extreme cold or heat. It’s one of the least expensive and most versatile aluminum alloys available.
6061-T6 alloy becomes stronger as a result of thermal treatment and aging. It conducts heat well and offers good finishing characteristics. Since 6061-T6 can be extruded, we are able to form it into nearly any imaginable shape, making it the ideal alloy for constructing a variety of access products.
The alloy also has a high resistance to rust and corrosion from environmental conditions, making it popular for marine projects and many other industrial applications.
Aluminum Compared to Wood
- Aluminum is much lighter than wood, making it easier to move and relocate ramps and platforms.
- If properly powder coated, aluminum requires no maintenance. Wood platforms and ramps will require repainting every few years.
- Wood may warp, rot or splinter if not stored properly, and joints can become loose or wobbly.
- Wood shrinks and expands. Aluminum access systems will maintain their shape and dimension in spite of temperature extremes.
Aluminum Compared to Steel
- Steel is three times heavier than aluminum by volume, and is more difficult to move.
- Steel must be painted or treated every few years to keep it from rusting and corroding, especially in a moist, damp or abrasive environment. Aluminum’s natural oxide layer protects it from corrosion.
- Steel is a magnetic metal; aluminum is nonmagnetic.
- Steel is not as malleable or elastic as aluminum. Aluminum can be easily machined, cast, drawn and extruded.
Aluminum ramps with handrails are essential for people with restricted mobility because they provide safe access to elevated and hard-to-reach areas. Aside from wheelchair users, it’s important to also consider people who are unable to walk with a regular gait and need need crutches, canes and walkers. Our ADA compliant aluminum ramps are an affordable and flexible solution.
Most slip-and-fall injuries are caused by slippery surfaces, poor structural integrity of the components, and environmental factors, such as mud, ice, snow, grease, and oil. With durable and lightweight access solutions from REDD Team, you can improve safety in many different environments.
If you need portable ramps with handrails for access to modular buildings, portable classrooms, construction trailers or temporary offices, REDD Team can provide the solution you need. Our access products are cost-effective, configured to meet your building code regulations, and are painless to install. Call us today at (800) 648-3696 to find out more.