Aluminum safety products offer many benefits, but two of the most important are ease of installation and ease of maintenance. REDD Team aluminum stair systems are engineered for simplicity of design and overall value. Reduce your costs and create a safer jobsite with our OSHA stairways.
Benefits of Aluminum Stairways
Aluminum is ideal for stairways and other access products.
Compared to wood, steel and concrete, aluminum is more versatile, durable, and easier to install. Aluminum products are virtually maintenance-free and can easily be relocated to other jobsites when no longer needed.
Aluminum stairways can provide secure access to all types of industrial and commercial buildings, schools, modular buildings and marine facilities by virtue of these properties:
- Strength. Aluminum stairways, ramps and platforms are capable of supporting heavy loads. A stairway that weighs just 215 pounds can support a 1,600 pound load.
- Light weight. Aluminum has a high strength-to-weight ratio, so aluminum stairs and ramps are lightweight but strong and durable. At about one-third the weight of steel, aluminum stair systems will result in lower shipping costs than comparable steel systems and require less labor to move and install.
- Flexibility. Aluminum stairways can withstand ground shifts during earthquakes because they utilize floating footings and joints that are not permanently attached to the ground. Their open structure better resists damage from rising water levels. They are also adaptable for portable or permanent use.
- Safety. Wood stairways are inherently dangerous. When exposed to water, they become slippery and are the cause of many injuries on the worksite. In contrast, aluminum stairs are self-draining and feature slip-resistant construction. Aluminum is excellent in cold weather applications, but it also conducts heat well, so it stays cool to the touch.
- Ease of assembly. Concrete and wood require more time to build and install than pre-fabricated aluminum systems. Aluminum stairways are built to project specifications and shipped to the jobsite completely fabricated. Like building blocks, aluminum stairs, ramps and walkways can be assembled within minutes.
- Aesthetics. Aluminum has a natural oxide film that resists rust, but can be powder-coated or anodized for further corrosion protection. It can also be painted in a variety of colors to blend with any environment.
- Maintenance-free. Aluminum is non-combustible and non-flammable, so you don’t have to worry about it emitting toxic fumes. Concrete and wood must be sealed and resealed on an ongoing basis to protect it. Steel has to be painted to protect it from the elements. Aluminum won’t rot like wood, deteriorate or require refinishing like other stairway systems.
- Recyclable. Unlike other materials, aluminum can be endlessly recycled, losing none of its properties during the recycling process. Consequently, aluminum access products meet sustainability guidelines of the U.S. Green Building Council and qualify for LEED credits.
REDD Team aluminum stair systems are built to meet or exceed OSHA standards for stairs as well as IBC, BOCA, SREF, and are fully compliant with all relevant safety standards and building regulations for site-built and modular buildings.
Premium quality, efficient fall protection systems do not have to break the bank. If you need an access solution for your site, get in touch with REDD Team at 800-648-3696 about our OSHA stairways and the variety of other aluminum access products we offer.