According to the U.S. Department of Labor, slips, trips and falls from stairs, platforms, ladders and ramps account for the vast majority of workplace accidents. They are also responsible for 15% of all accidental deaths. REDD Team’s prefabricated aluminum stairways offer a superior level of safety and efficiency that can reduce injuries on your jobsite.
REDD Team, a leading aluminum access system manufacturer in Delhi, LA, offers a versatile product line to meet your needs for safety, value and quick assembly. From design and detailing to manufacturing and shipping, we supply all of your access needs quickly and accurately.
Our safety access products, which include aluminum stairways, crossover stairs, aluminum pedestrian bridges, aluminum walkway systems, aluminum viewing platforms, and aluminum wheelchair ramps, comply with one or more of the following building code standards:
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Building Officials Code Administrators International (BOCA)
- Uniform Building Code (UBC)
- International Building Code (IBC)
- State Requirements for Educational Facilities (SREF)
- Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Aluminum’s Unique Properties
Aluminum is a popular structural material in the fabrication of stairways and other access systems. It is lighter than steel and iron, and some alloys are stronger than some steel alloys. But the extruded aluminum components also have some properties that are unmatched by other materials:
- Aluminum has good thermal conductivity. At low temperatures, aluminum alloys get stronger without losing quality, making them excellent for cold weather applications. The metal also conducts heat well and will stay cool to the touch (another safety advantage).
- Aluminum reacts with the oxygen in the air to form an extremely thin layer of oxide, creating a resistance to rust and corrosion. It can withstand highly-corrosive environments such as marine settings and locations with bad weather.
- Aluminum is lightweight, with a density one third that of steel. This low density does not affect its strength.
- Unlike wood, aluminum will never warp, rot or split, does not need to be refinished, and requires no sanding, scraping, painting or staining to maintain.
- Complex shapes can be fabricated in one-piece extruded sections, eliminating the need for mechanical joining. Stair frame components are consequently stronger and less likely to loosen over time.
- The natural metallic surface of aluminum is attractive on its own, but it can be anodized, painted or powder-coated if desired.It is also a good reflector of both visible light and radiated heat.
- Aluminum can be recycled over and over again without losing any of its superb characteristics.
Many organizations (IBC, BOCA, SREF, ADA, etc) impose standards for acceptable stair width, riser height, tread depth, landings and handrails. OSHA also sets general standards and safety regulations for workplace stairs, along with special standards for marine and other specialty stairs. Refer to the OSHA standards for the complete regulations.
Get in touch with REDD Team at (800) 648-3696 for assistance with aluminum stairways and other access systems you need for your unique application. Our cost-effective solutions are ideal for construction sites, in marine environments, in aerospace, and for modular or site-built classrooms and other buildings, to name a few.